Message





I can’t claim what I am writing here is perfect & ultimate. This is something from what I heard, seen, felt, thought & understood in my life. Only I can say that the resemblance of any character or incident is co-incidental. My writings are based on the fiction of my mind and not related to anyone.

I can’t claim what I am writing here is perfect and ultimate. This is something from what I heard, seen, felt, thought and understood in my life. Only I can say that the resemblance of any character or incident is co-incidental. My writings are based on the fiction of my mind and not related to anyone.

Monday, November 1, 2010

MourN

My father told me about the demise of Prabhakar. I had just returned from a long trip. He was my neighbor and was my senior during my school days. A good human being Prabhakar was a civil servant and was working in other city. He was also a leader of some Employees Union. Father told me to visit his house. When I reached there, there was already a crowd waiting for the dead body. It will take some time for the dead body to reach.  I decided to wait as I did not have any important work at home.

The house was full of people. Prabhakar’s family is big and well known in our area.  He was the only son to his parents. I looked around and spotted Mani Shankar, one of prabhakar's uncles sitting. Mani Shankar was a retired Army officer. Other than visiting the military canteen & the pensioner’s club once in a month, his main past time was to question each and every irregularity and odds of the society and the system. He fought against red tape bureaucracy in all government departments. He had even filed several Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in court to regulate the system and its people. He did not believe in taking the help of middle men called “Advocates” in these proceedings. It was part of his policy and was an economical decision too. In this way he was famous in the locality. Visiting the court was his passion and routine too. There was a rumor making the rounds that he would visit the court even on Sundays and holidays too just to make sure that the court was really not working on those days.

“Namaste uncle“….I said in a low voice without attracting others attention. He just nodded his head as the reply to it. He was looking in deep sorrow and it was obvious too. Prabhakar was his favourite nephew and the feeling was mutual. Prabhakar was always humble towards his Mani uncle and spent hour's playing cards with him and in return would be forced to hear repetitive stories of bravery during his service. Not only that, Prabhakar would always bring a bottle of whiskey for him.  This was perhaps the main reason why Mani Uncle loved Prabhakar.
“This was so unexpected…he was so young…certainly not an age to die" he wiped his eyes with his towel.

“How did this happen uncle” I asked

“Heart attack”  “God knows how it happened to him. He was a boy with a disciplined life and followed good habits. Not like today’s kids….who do not respect their elders. See…how many people gathered today” I looked at the crowd along with him

“What about his family?” I asked

“They have already started from there.  They will reach before the body comes. Really I can’t bear his loss... Don’t know why God take young people earliest and keep junks like me to suffer in this world”. His eyes filled with tears again and he wiped off. I placed my hands on his shoulder and sat near to console him. Till then people were beginning to fidget, getting impatient. They discussed politics, personal things and about others to kill time. Some people were eying into the house where female members gathered. In between somebody was sharing jokes and was attracting others towards him.

“Meenakshi is so young. I don’t know how she will manage both kids without him” He worried. I kept silence to agree with him.

“You know since morning…..it is crowded here. People need a reason to celebrate.” He whispered in my years. I carefully smiled at him to agree it.

“Just look inside the house. It is filled with women. They need a reason to run away from family responsibilities. See…that woman in grey colour saree.” I looked inside the house curiously to find her. Yes there was a woman almost his age sitting.

“See how sad she looks. She is his father’s sister. You know…she drank at least 8 glasses of coffee within this time. I was counting from here. How strange people are”. I had to agree with him.

“Come here”. He called me to sit closer.

“Can you do me a favor?”

“Please tell me uncle…what I can do for you?”

“Can you bring one cup of coffee….since morning I haven’t had a drop of water. Noone offered too.” He was sad.

“Oh my God…sure! Uncle I will come with a cup of coffee for you right away" I got up.

“Look do one thing. Bring two cups or more. See take that flask from that woman.
She won’t move a bit from there. I am sure it will be empty now”. I moved to take the flask through window.

“Be careful while taking, she may bite your hand with fury”. He giggled behind me.

When I returned with coffee…..Mani uncle was sitting in a corner alone. I poured coffee in a glass and given to him.

“You too take” He told me affectionately

“No uncle…I just had it from house.”

While he was sipping coffee…I concentrated on others talks. There were many big people sitting on the veranda and were waiting for the dead body. District Collector was his father’s nephew. So he was sitting over there. Now the atmosphere started to change. The somber mood was gone. People were talking and laughing loudly. Even some young people were gossiping about some romance going on in the neighborhood. In between somebody came from the house and was searching something. He must be one of his relative for sure.

“ It was with Mani uncle” Somebody sounded from the crowd. The inquisitive person came near to us.

“Uncle…where is today’s news paper?” He asked

“He is prabhakar’s elder sister’s son. He is studying Engineering in Madras.”  Mani uncle introduced him to me.

“Hello”

“Hello”

“Uncle where is News Paper?” He again asked.

“For what ?” uncle re-questioned him.

“Somebody told….there is news about Prabhakar. Collector sir wants to see it”

“Ohhh..it will be here & there” Mani uncle told carelessly.

“Where?” He asked impatiently

After keeping silence for a while….Mani uncle said. “I used it”.

“What?” We both looked at him with anxiety.

“YES I USED IT”. Uncle’s sound was firm and hard. We looked each other to solve the puzzle.

“For what”? The lad had no plan to leave him.

“For what? Since morning I was trying to enter into the house. Those women refused to  move a bit from where they are sitting. Look at that side of bathroom; they are just sitting over there like attending some bhajan in a temple”. He shouted. We looked at each other in dismay.

There was a mess, when the dead body arrived. People rushed to see it as they were in a hurry to return home. It was already half past ten. His family arrived little prior to its arrival. His wife Meenakshi was crying.  All women sitting over there joined her like since morning they were waiting for this moment. That led to a mass cry within the house. Somebody told now body should be cremated as soon as possible as  it was already late. It started decomposing. Then they started arrangement to take the dead body to the cremation ground. I joined them.

Prabhakar’s pyre was made ready.  They kept him over it. His little son was doing the rituals for his father. Somebody kept mud pot on his shoulder and he was giving round to his father’s Pyre.  The scene was deadly emotional and it brought tears in to my eyes. I couldn’t see it so I moved from there to a corner.  After sometime I heard a heart breaking cry from that side. I didn’t want to go, but my anxiety lead me automatically over there. It was Mani uncle. He was crying loudly at Prabhakar. Somebody was holding him. Meanwhile somebody gave fire to Prabhakar’s son. When he was going to set fire on Pyre, I moved away from the scene. It was already mid night now.

Mani uncle was sitting in a corner of the cemetery. When I looked at him, he called me by his hands. One of his hands was on his chest and his face was showing that he was struggling to breath. I asked him “What happened?”

“I have a pain in my chest.”  He told me.

“Is it severe?” I asked.

“Hmmm….I am feeling suffocation too.” He said with a difficult expression in his face.
I got afraid and I ran towards the people who were standing nearby. Dead body was already started burning. I informed them about Mani uncle.  Somebody should take him to the doctor. I came with others so I didn’t have a vehicle. I called one of Prabhakar’s relative and made him aware about the condition. But he was not at all interested to do something. I wondered how people can act like this in such situation. The pain may prove fatal to him in this age. If it is late, then these people should prepare his pyre too at the cost of their negligence. How mean people are. They do not have sympathy towards anyone at least in such situation. I pity on them. I took the key from one of them furiously and took Mani uncle in a hurry to the vehicle. I asked someone about the nearest doctor in this location. Unfortunately, no doctor was staying at nearby area.  We must go to town which is at least ten kilometers from the cremation ground. I started the vehicle in a hurry and went towards town in maximum speed. Mani Uncle looked relaxed. So I asked

“Uncle….how you feeling now?”

“Its little better now. The pain is reduced…but still has the inconvenience”

“Don’t worry uncle….I will take you to the doctor. Everything will be ok. Please don’t lose courage”

“Never…my dear. I am not. After all I was a soldier.”

“True” I said without seeing him. There was nothing remaining other than a big mustache to prove it.

“Your house is on the way kid?” He asked.

“No uncle….mine was near to Prabhakar’s house” I said

“Ohh..” He got silent for a while. Then said

“See all hotels and shops are closed now. What’s the time now?” He asked.

“The day is over uncle.” I said

“Who is in your house now?”

“My father & mother is there.” I said. I should have to engage him in idle chit chat  to divert his mind. It is good for him now. It will reduce the pain and he will forget about it. So I decided to keep talking.

“Do one thing…you go to your house. It is already mid night. I will come with you.”

“Uncle no problem. Don’t worry about the doctors.  Doctors are to treat patients. Don’t worry. We will wake him up” 

“No need of doctor. I am feeling ok now.” He said.

“No uncle…..don’t take risk in this age….we will visit a doctor. That will be better.”

“You don’t worry. I think the pain was because of gas trouble. You know, I didn’t have anything since morning. So when I drank coffee…it may have created some gas in my stomach. Then said, see now all the hotels are closed. I am very hungry now. So you go to your house and tell your mother to give me some food. That’s enough.”

I sat idle at the steering without knowing what to reply him...


Created: 22nd October 2010
Author: P-kay
Editor: Ss

11 comments:

  1. Human-nature beautifully captured! yeah. indeed a good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. & Happy Dipawali to you & your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SD :) Happy Diwali to you & family too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would like to quote in one comment only of your over all blog.It amplifies of what you Have inside you.And it has been done in a very powerful way.All your posts have in a way a sad touch which makes it very glorifying.
    Happy diwali :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alcina :)Happy Diwali to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new blog name is nice.. :)

    So to whom is this dedication? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tnx Alcina :) To whoever ask this question hahahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete